Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Skinning, Modding, and Mashing Potatoes

Beach's statement about not pretending that we are technology experts in the classroom was comforting as I read the Jenkins piece and did not understand all of the technology terms. I decided to turn to an old reliable (the original wiki-- I think), Wikipedia, to discover the meanings of skinning, modding, and mashup. It turns out that skinning can mean changing the appearance (or "skin") of a computer program -- or drawing a character in a computer program. It can also be a new activity combining skipping and running -- or a controversial wrestling move involving "the placement of pressure on an opponent's rectum," also known as the "butt drag." Modding is a slang term for "modify," usually in reference to hardware or software. Mashup has subcategories, as in digital mashup (text, graphics, audio, video, animation), music mashup, video mashup, and web application hybrid mashup -- all related to combining (or mashing together) pieces of different things to create a new thing. I believe that Steve talked about mashups for a music presentation in Beach's class.

All of these terms are listed under the "expression" category that Jenkins describes as a form of participatory culture. These are ways of expressing new things by using parts of things that are already in existence. Jenkins writes, while on the subject of appropriation, that "all artists work within traditions; they all also violate conventions" (32). This statement and Jenkins' methods of expression listed above mean that creativity is accessible. Especially if the new model of knowledge is as a collective intelligence, a good artist, through a dialogic process, will take the knowledge that we have and show it to us in a different way in order to expand that knowledge.

1 comment:

Jean Marie said...

I like that Beach said we should not act like technology experts in the classroom. My worry however, is that due to my own lack of knowledge, I won't be able to give my students the opportunity to learn these skills! I'm already thinking about all of the future classes I will have to take to keep up with current technology, and I am afraid this will become more and more difficult as I get older and things get even more complicated that they already are. Luckily, we have resources at our fingertips (like wikipedia) to help us along.

I also really like what you wrote as a comment on Joe's Blog. "I kindof wish that all classes had a different grading system. What if all classes were pass/fail? Isn't life more pass/fail than A-F? You either get the job or you don't, you either get into a school or you don't, you either get caught by the cops or you don't... Would teacher comments be more authentic if they weren't tied to an A-F grading system? Would teacher comments be less meaningful to students if they weren't tied to an A-F system?"

I agree with you entirely about life being pass/fail and NOT A-F (not really, anyway... I mean, we could start grading people's lives but I think it would be far too complicated. :O) I think teacher comments WOULD be more authentic if they weren't tied to a grading system. I also think that human beings by nature rebel against things that they feel they are pressured to do, or HAVE to do, and I think that if students saw school and learning as fun, enjoyable, and an opportunity to interact with their peers and to learn, they would be much more inclined to put in all their efforts rather than in the current system where school is mandatory and seen as one giant chore that lasts from age 5 to 18.